Research helps us understand why arthritis and musculoskeletal (MSK) conditions occur and the impact they have on our lives. It can also help us develop better ways of treating and managing these conditions. The ultimate goal is to prevent and/or cure them.
Musculoskeletal Australia is committed to supporting consumer focused research which involves consumers as research partners.
Consumers as research partners
As someone living with a musculoskeletal condition you can bring a unique and important perspective to research. Your experiences and knowledge about what it’s like living with a chronic condition, using the health system and the effects your condition has on you – physically, emotionally, psychologically and socially – is invaluable.
By getting involved in research you can share this information and your experiences with researchers.
You can become involved in research as:
- a research partner and work with researchers to carry out research projects
- a research participant and the subject of the study
- a research advocate representing the broad views and experiences of people affected by arthritis and musculoskeletal conditions.
At MSK Australia we support and fund consumer-focused research in the following areas:
- support people in the use of self-management strategies to manage their condition and improve their skills navigating the health system
Research which looks at improving people’s ability to find, understand and use health information related to their musculoskeletal health, and use positive lifestyle to reduce the risk of developing musculoskeletal conditions or minimise the risk of existing conditions becoming worse.
- help people with arthritis and musculoskeletal conditions manage at work
Developing and evaluating initiatives to assist working Australians who live with musculoskeletal conditions remain productive at work, focusing on individual and work factors, and raising awareness of musculoskeletal conditions among working Australians.
- use of technology to help people manage their condition
Research investigating the use of technologies such as social media, m-health and e-health to deliver information or services to people with musculoskeletal conditions.
- delivery of best practice care for people with musculoskeletal conditions
Research which looks at how to assist health professionals to deliver best practice care for people with musculoskeletal conditions.
- implementation and evaluation of health services or models of care for improving musculoskeletal health
The purpose of this priority area is to put into practice and then evaluate evidence-based health service models or models of care for improving MSK health.
- economic evaluations for programs or service models that address MSK health
Research looking at economic evaluations of services or initiatives targeted at consumers or health professionals to improve health outcomes for consumers with MSK health conditions.
Check out our active research projects
Find out more about the current research projects supported by MSK Australia
More to explore
For more info
If you’d like any further information regarding our research program please contact:
General Manager – Consumer Services
P. (03) 8531 8006 M. 0423 953478